Friday, May 23, 2014

A Shore Match


Today I'm posting a card I made last night for my friend's wedding tomorrow which is also in the theme of Distress which is the Lawnscaping Challenge this week. I haven't played along with them in forever and this one just fit perfectly.

I'm not drawn to 'cute' things so much, but when it comes to Lawn Fawn's Critters sets, I want one of each! This card uses the Critters by the Sea set and individual letters from the phrases on various other critter sets.

I started the card by stamping the little crab and then mirroring his friend next to him with Memento Tuxedo Black Dye ink. I tried the technique many times with many different inks and found that Memento stayed wet the longest to ink the stamp, then stamp it on a solid stamp and then onto the card. I had to use and XS Pitt Artist Pen to fill in the lighter areas of the little guy but it works pretty well.

Then came the distress! I die cut a cloud and it's negative and varied the placement of both along the skyline to make the puffy rolling clouds with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink. Then i cut a half circle and used Antique Linen ink to make the sand. Then I grabbed my Copics and colored the two crabs and used the brush point to make lots of dots to add texture to the sandy beach.

Finally, I die cut a little heart, painted it, and added glossy accents and cut the banner and used a Distress Marker in Black Soot to ink up each letter to stamp out the message.

I hope you like it!!


Thursday, May 22, 2014

CCC3 - Distress Glitter

    I've been patiently waiting for my new copy of Tim's Compendium of Curiousities Vol. III and Linda Ledbetter's Challenge since I read about the Volume II challenge a few years ago. I missed out on last week's challenge but didn't want to miss this one! This week she's chosen page 56 and the winner of this challenge gets a gift card to the Funkie Junkie Boutique. What a great company name?! I haven't checked them out but am very curious :)
   So, onto my lack of blogging and what I've created. Since discovering the wonderful Dina Wakley and her art journaling, I've really spent some time away from card making and delving into paint, doodling, and drawing. A lot of the early stuff has just been practice and technique building so there wasn't much to blog about but lots of messes to clean up. But, since CCC3 has started, I wanted to pull things together and make a blog-worthy page (or some semblance of it)
    I started with white gesso and used a paper towel to put down my first few layers of paint I mixed from just red, blue and white in different combinations. Who needs a brush anyway? Then I added some tissue tape with multi-medium which gave me the idea for music and a songbird. I cut the bird from grunge paper and Tim Holtz's Caged Bird Die. I removed his branch (which I promptly's probably glued to a shoe by now), gave him some feet, and covered him with gesso. After he was dry I painted him with varying mixes of my big tubes of basic acrylic paint in red, blue, yellow, black and white. (It's all you really need, right? :) Then to make him just fancy, I added faded jeans Distress Glitter to his back and wing. While I was in the glitter, I cut the stars from grunge paper and Tim's Crescent Moon and Stars die and used the technique with Pumice Stone Distress Glitter on page 56 of the book. 
    I wanted to add a few more layers, so I used Picket Fence Distress Paint and yellow paint and added some stenciling with The Crafter's Workshop's 6x6 stencils in Ledger and Star Fall.  Then I added the bird stamps and the flower stamps with some Archival Ink and added my message to finish my journal page. 
    I've never been one to follow the popular and my little bird doesn't either. 

    I wanted to play  a bit more with die cuts and my colors of Distress Glitter so I cut the Eiffel Tower and Fleur de Lis from Tim's Bigz Die from grunge paper as well and covered them with Black Soot and Antique Linen Distress Glitter. The background of the tag has some stamping in Picket Fence Distress Paint and some stenciling in ink using the Harlequin stencil. I wanted to ground the tower, since you know, it's on the ground, so I used some matching tissue tape from Tim. 

    I'm so happy to have been able to play with my new glitters and can't wait to see what the next challenge will be. Now, I'm off to visit some more blogs and leave some comments.
   Thanks for stopping by!